Monday 22 October 2012

Fresh Bread at Home

Our first winter snowfall warning of the year was just issued today! October 22- I guess it has come earlier, so we can't really complain! One of the things that I used to love that my mom made when it was chilly outside was homemade bread. Well really, homemade bread at any time is really good! And I thought, why not give it a try, instead of paying +$2.00 a loaf at almost any store?! It's just me who eats it (most of the time!), as my husband is gluten-intolerant. So I was reading around for some different recipes, as well as the best ways to freeze it [see some tips here!: I also sliced mine before freezing it, in case I only want to grab one slice at a time from the freezer]. I found lots of recipes and decided to go with this one. Simple enough, all the ingredients at home, and I had the time this afternoon for the process (I used my oven as opposed to a bread machine).

It was a success!! 2 loaves, super delicious, and my house smells amazing! I will be keeping one out, and slicing one and the freezing it. I read that it is best to slice before freezing to a) help if you thaw the whole loaf at once and b) easy to grab just one or two slices out of the freezer at a time as needed. And really, to make a couple loaves at a time, not any difficult or more time consuming than just a single loaf.

Mmmmmmm!!! So I saved us about $10 this month by baking the bread at home. Baby step, but every little bit helps! How many of you bake bread, or other bakery items at home?

Happy Saving!
- C

No comments:

Post a Comment